Friday, February 22, 2008

Shoulda used a tripod
















Though you can't tell it from this photo, we had an absolutely breathtaking lunar eclipse a couple of nights ago. I know Ali saw it in Vermont -- did it happen in Taiwan as well? don't know how that works... And even if it did, could you see it from your roof in the city?

Anyway, amazingly enough, it was a clear night, so we could watch the whole thing, start to finish, just sitting in the window seat looking out over the lagoon. It reminded me of the last lunar eclipse I can really remember: we were in New Jersey, at Grampa's house, for Thanksgiving, I think, and you guys were pretty little. Do you remember?

Unfortunately in the early part of the evening, when it was still fairly light out, the moon was obscured by clouds. And by the time the moon rose over the clouds it was so dark out that my camera couldn't really handle the brightness of the moon against the darkness of the sky. I suppose a tripod would have helped, but I was too lazy to set it up -- plus, as you know, your dad has this way of suggesting I just enjoy things without photographing them...

But you know the wonders of Photoshop -- I couldn't resist mocking one up to show what it really looked like! So I found a moon shot from another night with a similar low cloud layer and just darkened the moon a bit. And this is what the eclipse REALLY looked like to me: it was amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom! That second picture you took is AMAZING! I want it! Please send it to me so I can have it as my back drop!!!