Friday, July 25, 2008

Welcome to Egypt


I'm sure someone out there has a better photo than this of the amazing sunset we all watched this evening. We were out walking the dog, and I didn't have my camera with me; by the time I got home this was all that was left.

But what made the dogwalk for me, as much as the sunset, was the conversations we had with various neighbors about the planning commission meeting last night. My favorite story from the evening -- and there were many; I can't wait to hear more -- was the moment when the chair of the planning commission said we were all "living in Egypt."

Apparently people just stared at her, not knowing what she was trying to say, so she had to clarify. "You know, Denial is not a river in Egypt? -- why are you all investing in building down there? What about storms? What about global warming?"

We're thinking we need a banner at the top of the spit that says Welcome to Egypt! Or maybe we should just incorporate as a little town, like Rolling Bay, or Lynnwood, only name it Denial. We already basically have our own post office -- we could just build a little shack on the site of the old lighthouse, put all those mailboxes inside, out of the rain, and put a sign on it declaring it to be Post Office, Denial, WA.

Jerry, you're good at signs; maybe this could be one of those charming neighborhood projects the BIAHC is so eager to fund...

No comments: