Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sandspit Sea Lion

I promised the Sears I would post these pictures of the sea lion that visited us last month...

It was March 12: I was taking Nemo for his customary walk, and he turned right off the boardwalk instead of left as he usually does. Okay, I thought, no problem, I can be flexible about this. But when we were in the middle of the Meacham's portion of the beach this lovely lady lumbered out from behind the giant driftwood stump that sits in front of Joanna and Jerry's house.

Though you can't tell from this photo, she was close to seven feet long, and almost four feet high standing up (if you can call it that). What amused me was that Nemo -- who (as many of you know) believes he owns the beach, and exerts his authority by barking and chasing anything else that dares to step on it, whether human, bird or dog -- was struck speechless. He stopped dead in his tracks, planted his butt firmly in the sand and just stared -- and mama lion stared right back.

Eventually I was able to drag him away, but he kept looking back as we headed home. You could almost see his doggie wheels turning: What WAS that thing? Should I be defending my beach? Is it coming after me? He was so stunned he forgot to pee, and Chris had to take him out again later. I went along, of course, with my camera...

No comments: